Getting into a traffic accident is inevitable for most drivers. In fact, the average motorist will be involved in at least four traffic collisions throughout his or her lifetime, according to transportation safety experts.Although this can be distressing to think about, understanding what to do after a car crash can help you avoid sustaining additional harm. That’s because what you do after an accident may help you protect a future auto accident insurance claim so that you are able to obtain the full amount of compensation to which you may be entitled.
Shedding some light on what can end up compromising motorists’ interests with these claims, below, we have pointed out some common claim mistakes that can cost accident victims in terms of their financial recovery.
Following a Car Crash, Do NOT…
- Avoid calling the police – Calling them after an accident means that you will get immediate assistance at the scene, including help exchanging info, getting medical care, etc. It also means that there will be a formal police report for the collision. This report can be critical later when it’s time to establish the nature of negligence that caused the accident.
- Apologize or admit to having caused the accident – Even unintentional apologies can be used to try pin the blame for an accident on you. This could result in you losing out on compensation that you would have otherwise been entitled to.
- Avoid seeing a doctor – Just as police will create a formal report regarding the details of the collision, doctors will develop a formal report regarding the extent of the injuries you sustained in the car accident. When it’s time to prove how badly you were injured, this formal report can be invaluable. So, see a doctor ASAP after a collision.
- Put too much trust into insurers – This is a big mistake that can be easy for people to make because many people don’t realize that insurance providers are really not looking out for them. Instead, insurers are typically focused on protecting their business and profits. This can end up meaning that accident victims have to fight for the full amount of payouts they deserve. So, the bottom line here is that it’s important to be careful when dealing with insurers following auto accidents. Don’t expect them to honor your rights, the policies they have with you and/or your valid claim.
- Avoid contacting a lawyer – This can be one of the biggest mistakes to make when pursuing a car accident claim with insurers because it can prevent people from understanding and fully protecting their rights. By contacting an attorney, accident victims can find out more about who may be liable for compensating them, as well as what their entitlements may be. Victims can also get help advocating their interests. This, in turn, can be pivotal to helping them obtain the full amount of compensation they may deserve.
Contact a Denver Car Accident Lawyer at the Law Office of James H. Guest, LLC
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, contact a Denver car accident lawyer at the Law Office of James H. Guest, LLC for help with your financial recovery. Call us at (303) 292-2992 or email us via the contact form on this page. We offer free initial consultations, and there is no fee for our services if there is no recovery in your case.