The Fountain Police Department (FPD), along with one of its officers, has recently been named as defendants in a wrongful death case recently filed with the Denver District Court.
According to court documents associated with this case, the plaintiff is the mother of a 17-year-old Fountain teenager who was reportedly shot dead by an FPD officer on Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015 at the family’s home on Legend Oak Drive.
Details of the Fatal Shooting: The Facts & Allegations
The following is a list of the facts and allegations associated with the wrongful death lawsuit now pending against FPD:
- Police were called to the house before the teenager was home to investigate an attempted theft of a motorcycle from the garage.
- After the teen had arrived home, the mother did not tell him about the call to the police.
- The son went to take a shower.
- The mother claims she did not see any gun in the son’s room earlier in the day, when she had reportedly searched it.
- While the teen was in the bathroom, with the door shut, his mother led an FPD officer to the bathroom, at which point the officer reportedly ordered the teen to put his clothes on and come out.
- Subsequently, the officer drew his sidearm and shot through the bathroom door.
- After shooting, the officer opened the door to find the teenager’s naked body lying next to the bathtub.
- The El Paso County Coroner’s Office determined that the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head.
- The mother claimed no gun was found by the three officers that were on the scene investigating the death.
- It wasn’t until a fourth officer arrived that police “discovered” a handgun near the teenager’s hand.
- The officer who fired the fatal shot reportedly was wearing a mounted body camera mounted but claimed that it wasn’t turned on during the deadly encounter.
- The mother has claimed the handgun found by the teen belonged to an El Paso County deputy.
- Also according to the mother:
- The officer responsible for the shooting had been dispatched to the home before and was acquainted with the teenager prior to the altercation.
- The officer used excessive force during his investigation and the subsequent shooting.
While many details of this pending case remain unknown, they are sure to come out in the course of the discovery and trial for this case. As more details about this pending and highly publicized wrongful death case become available, we will report the latest updates to you here, in a future blog.
Financial Recoveries via Wrongful Death Lawsuits
As we await more details in this wrongful death case, it’s important to highlight how these types of cases can be pivotal to:
- Holding negligent parties accountable for the deadly injuries they case
- Helping surviving loved ones recover from their tragic losses.
If you have any questions regarding your options for justice and recovery following the untimely loss of a loved one, don’t hesitate to contact a knowledgeable wrongful death lawyer for answers.
Contact a Denver Personal Injury Lawyer at the Law Office of James H. Guest, LLC
To find out more about your rights and recovery options after an accident or the wrongful death of a loved one, contact an experienced Denver personal injury lawyer at the Law Office of James H. Guest, LLC by calling (303) 872-5283 or (888) 841-6593 or by emailing us via the contact form on this page. We offer free initial consultations, and there is no fee for our services if there is no recovery in your case.